Monitoring coral restoration efforts is essential to promote effective restoration techniques and to quantify success. In this working group, we ask the following questions. How do we efficiently scale up restoration monitoring? What are the data needed to determine success (or failure) of restoration efforts? The Coral Restoration Consortium steering committee and working group members have defined the following priorities for the group:
- Develop or adapt existing protocols to formulate a best practices or guidelines document for monitoring coral restoration projects. This will be a reference for practitioners, managers, and scientists. Guidelines will be developed in different tiers – from the colony level to the reef, and ecosystem levels
- Identify program monitoring and metrics to address what makes a restoration program successful
- Identify remote monitoring techniques (e.g. orbital, manned aerial, and drones) that can be widely adopted, and help CRC members develop the capacity for implementation
- Identify geographic locations where restoration efforts are taking place, and relate to geographic locations of ecosystem monitoring efforts
- Facilitate the development of an open access shared database of restoration monitoring data
What We’re Working On
The Monitoring Working Group is continuing to develop Best Management Guidelines, Global Databases for nurseries and outplant sites, and an Evaluation Tool to determine restoration success. Please help them!
- If you would like to view the current draft of the Best Management Guidelines or if you have comments and suggestions, please contact Liz Goergen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- We have a Caribbean prototype of a Global Database for nurseries and outplanting, but we need assistance to fill in data gaps. We are currently updating our data entry Excel spreadsheets for nursery information and outplant information based on feedback we got at the Reef Futures meeting. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in contributing data, and she will send you the updated spreadsheets when they are ready.
If you are interested in viewing the Evaluation Tool or have suggestions for restoration metrics, please contact Stephanie Schopmeyer (firstname.lastname@example.org).